Oman Map

A Thorough Look into the Oman Map

An Oman map can reveal much about the Sultanate of Oman, situated along the eastern edge of the Arabian Peninsula. Oman holds the distinction of being located in both the eastern and northern hemispheres. Bordered by Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the United Arab Emirates as well as the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Oman, the country is easily recognized on maps and globes.

More than the geographical location can be determined by a quality Oman map. Landform maps clearly indicate that the Musandam Peninsula, the most northern portion of Oman is separated from the remainder of the country by a small section of land that belongs to the United Arab Emirates. This peninsular is composed primarily of mountains and low hills. A fertile coastal plain runs from the Gulf of Oman in the north to the Hajar Mountains. In the southeast and central section of the country, coastal areas and desert landscapes make up most of the land mass. Even close inspection of an Oman map will reveal no rivers or noteworthy lakes as there are none in the entire country.

Nearly 1,300 miles of coastline are evidenced by Oman maps. Oman is a relatively small country, comprised of 82,031 square miles of land. An Oman map will accurately depict zero miles of water in this hot and dry country.

Maps will clearly indicate the highest point in Oman as Jabal Akhdar with a height of 9,776 feet. The lowest point is the Arabian Sea, located at sea level or zero feet. Clearly, Oman is a diverse land.

The country is divided into five distinct regions. These regions are: Al Batinah, Ash Sharqiyah, Ad Dakhiliyah, Al Wusta and Az Zahira. There are a total of three governorates. These governorates are: Musandam, Zufur and Masqat.

Facts and figures are often included on the Oman map. A variety of useful information can be found here. Some of the more interesting facts include the population of Oman. That population was recently recorded at just over 3,000,000 residents. The capital city is Muscat. The official language is Arabic, but English is spoken by many Omani, particularly those involved in commerce and tourism.

By far, the primary religion is Ibadhi Muslim. Over 75% of the country’s residents are practicing Muslims. The remaining 25% is comprised of practitioners of Sunni & Shi’a Muslim and Hindu. The Omani people are serious about their religion and visitors should respect the religion and the people of Oman.

One more item of interest found on a typical Oman map is the country’s climate and weather. For the most part, Oman is a hot and dry area. Only the southernmost region of the country experiences any significant rainfall. This area’s lush vegetation is due to a light monsoon season and this region also enjoys cooling breezes off the Indian Ocean. Even the coldest winter months in Oman are warm by most standards. Average low temperatures in the region hover around 65 degrees F. The summer brings intense heat. In the desert areas, temperatures of nearly 100 degrees F. are common.

The one thing Oman maps cannot provide is a true picture of the beauty of Oman. For that, a visit is required. Tourists are welcomed and treated with hospitality and kindness.